One of the most historic – and divisive – elections in American history has come to an end. I think we can all agree that the endless barrage of television and radio ads, social media and Internet videos and memes, and the divisive language of the campaign have taken their toll on our psyches and, in some cases, personal relationships.
While the election is over, many of us will continue to process it for the foreseeable future. With that said, I’d like for all of you to know that we are committed to supporting our students, staff and faculty during this time.
Please check back here for more information and resources as they become available.
Dr. Mike Mullen
Vice Chancellor and Dean
Division of Academic and Student Affairs
11/16; 10:10 a.m.
Dr. Linda Smith’s Message: Moving Forward with Positivity – Thursday 11/10
Chancellor Woodson’s Message in Response to the Election – Wednesday 11/9
Conversation Space for Students
- Wednesday 11/16 4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. International Students Conversational Space, University Commons (next to Health Center), Room 104/106
- Tuesday 11/22 from 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.; people are invited to the Student Involvement Center in Talley Student Union to process and talk with others. Staff and counselors will be available.
- Tuesday 11/22 3:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. The Counseling Center is offering a safe space for international students with concerns related to the recent election and wanting support to discuss those concerns. No appointment needed. Student Health Center room 1315. Questions: Yuka Kato, PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org), Counseling Center 515-2423. Info flyer.
- Tuesday 11/29 from 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.; people are invited to the Student Involvement Center in Talley Student Union to process and talk with others. Staff and counselors will be available.
- Tuesday 11/15 The 2016 Elections: Reflections and Consequences Featuring political scientists Profs. Michael Cobb, Steven Greene, and Andy Taylor 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. in Caldwell Lounge (informational flyer)
Faculty and Staff Discussion Opportunities
This is an opportunity for faculty and staff to come together to talk, share, and learn in an unstructured setting.
- Wednesday 11/16/16 from 1pm – 3pm in 3221 Talley
- Wednesday 11/23/16 from 10am – 12pm in 3221 Talley
- Wednesday 11/30/16 from 3pm – 5pm in 3221 Talley
- Wednesday 12/7/16 from 1pm – 3pm in 3221 Talley
On Campus Resources
- Counseling Center – available 24 hours a day by calling 919-515-2423
- Faculty and Staff Assistance Program – call 866-467-0467
- Office for Institutional Equity and Diversity – call 919-515-3148
- Division of Academic and Student Affairs – call 919-515-2446
- When in doubt about a situation or have questions, you can also make a referral with our Assisting Students of Concern team.
- Office of Student Conduct
- Student Ombuds
- Faculty Ombuds
- NC State Police Department